- Brenda from the Traveling Tickle Trunk reminds us that making aborting illegal does nothing to reduce the number of abortions that occur (although it does increase the number of deaths and serious injuries that people seeking abortions are faced with. Pro-choice is pro-life.)
- If you haven’t heard about it yet, go read up on the body-positive colouring book Fat Ladies in Spaaaaaaaace and maybe even get yourself a copy! (I just did.) Colouring is so much fun!
- Our Bodies Our Blog has some info on the pros and cons of using IUDs for birth control – worth checking out if you’d like to be more informed.
-Check out this fact sheet on global maternal health.
Sixty-nine-year-old German Heidemarie Schwermer never thought she could go so long without money, but what begun as a 12-month experiment became a unique lifestyle 15 years ago.
…Instead, since 1996, she has lived by a unique scheme of swaps and barters she says has held her in good stead. Not a religious ascetic or a commune dweller, Schwermer is an urbanite living in the heart of a materialistic society and says she has no plans to go back to the world of euros and cents.
“Giving up money gave me quality of life, inner wealth and freedom,” she says.
-A ten-year-old Aboriginal girl is standing up to Enbridge and their pipelines.
Here are some good reads from around the web today:
- Over at Shameless Magazine, we are reminded that using your privilege, and discriminatory and oppressive language, jokes, etc. to talk down someone else who discriminatory and oppressive, in this case Toronto Mayor Tom Ford, is not okay.
- A discussion post is open over at Feministe on adoption as a feminist issue.
- Another discussion post is open over at Feministing on the role of grieving withing feminism.
On the Dominic Straus-Kahn rape trial media coverage: “20 Quotes About DSK That Reveal How We Think About Rape”
On global midwifery: “UNFPA Releases Report on State of the World’s Midwifery”
On how the Canadian Left can build up successful opposition to the current conservative regime: “The Left and the end of Harper”
Keep your eye out for a new film about abortion doctors in the States. Here is the trailer!
Learn more about the movie here!